The Dangers of Black Mold on Wood and How to Remove It

If you see black mold on wood in your home, you should remove it as soon as possible. Learn about the dangers of black mold and how to remove it here.

Did you know that air pollutants indoors are more serious than in the outdoors? Because indoors are where most people spend the vast majority of their time, breathing in toxic air can result in a plethora of health complications which include respiratory issues.

This is why discovering black mold on wood and other organic surfaces and getting rid of it is essential. But what is black mold, and what are the dangers associated with it?

Keep reading to find out everything you need to know.


What is Black Mold?

Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is greenish-black fungi that can release spores into the air and is one of the most dangerous types of mold. It produces toxins called mycotoxins, which can cause a variety of health problems, including respiratory infections, headaches, nausea, and skin irritation.

Where Does Black Mold Commonly Grow?

Black mold is commonly found in damp, dark, humid environments or areas prone to water damage, such as the basement, bathroom, or kitchen. Black mold can grow on paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and insulation, but wood is one of the materials that are most susceptible. Because mold loves damp and dark environments, and wood is often both of these things.

What are the Dangers of Black Mold?

Symptoms of black mold exposure include coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, and skin, eyes, nose, and throat irritation. People with asthma or other respiratory conditions may be more susceptible to the effects of black mold. In severe cases, black mold exposure may lead to serious infections like hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

Black mold can cause serious damage to walls, ceilings, and floors, especially if made of organic materials. It can also cause serious structural damage to your home, as it can eat away at the very foundation of your building, causing it to crumble and collapse.

How Do You Remove Black Mold on Wood?

Make sure to wear gloves and a mask to avoid skin and eye contact when removing black mold.

First, the area must be cleaned with soap and water to remove any dirt or debris. If the mold is on the surface of the wood, you can use a mixture of 1 cup of bleach to one gallon of water. You can also try using a strong vinegar solution or a commercial mold removal product, just be sure to follow the instructions on the product label.

Once you have your mixture, simply apply it to the affected area with a cloth and scrub in a circular motion. Be sure to let the mixture sit on the mold for at least 5 minutes before wiping it away. If the mold is deep in the wood, you’ll need to use a chemical stripper or sandpaper to remove it.

Once you have removed the mold, be sure to rinse the area with clean water and dry it thoroughly. You will need to seal the wood with a waterproof sealant to prevent this toxic mold from returning.

Take Immediate Action!

If you have black mold on wood in your home, it’s important to remove it immediately to keep your family safe. Not only is it unsightly, but it can also be dangerous to your health.

You can use a natural remedy like bleach or vinegar mixture to remove the mold. Or a safer option, hire a professional mold removal company who can properly assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

If you’d like to learn more about keeping your home safe and secure, be sure to check out the rest of our site.

Leave a Reply