Have you bought a hydroflasks recently and would want to know are hydroflasks dishwasher safe or not? This article settles your concerns by giving you more details about the safety of hydro flask in dishwashers.
- 1 Are Hydroflasks Dishwasher Safe?
- 2 How to Clean Hydro Flask Using A Dishwasher
- 3 How to Clean Hydro Flask Manually
- 4 What Is Expected When You Place A HydroFlask in The Dishwasher
- 5 The Bottom Line
Are Hydroflasks Dishwasher Safe?
There is no definite answer whether a hydro flask is dishwasher safe. All hydroflasks manufactured before 2020 are not dishwasher safe. Before that, the powder coating used in the hydro flask was incompatible with a dishwasher. This is because it cannot stand the high temperature a dishwasher operates at. Therefore, you risk destroying the flask. The heat makes the powder coating on the hydro flask fade away; hence the bottle will lose its luster after washing it a few times.
Moreover, its efficiency dwindles to zero, meaning it will no longer retain the temperature of the liquid stored. However, that’s only for hydro flasks made before 2020. Those manufactured after are made of color-last TM powder, resistant to high temperatures making them dishwasher safe.
How to Clean Hydro Flask Using A Dishwasher
Some hydro flasks can be washed in the dishwasher, while others not. Before washing your hydro flask in the dishwasher, check the model and ensure it falls under the proper criteria.
The latest hydro flasks feature a stainless steel brand on the collar section of the flask. Moreover, the logo doesn’t have a registered trademark and has a rounded bottom. Hydro flasks with these features are dishwasher safe; hence you can wash them in a dishwasher using the following procedure:
Check Dishwasher Temperature
Before trying anything, check your dishwasher temperature. The heat from the dishwasher can damage the Hydroflask, even if it’s the latest production. Using a high-temperature dishwasher to wash a hydro flask can damage the vacuum seal on the flask, in all models. To avoid ruining your hydro flask, regulate the temperature to the required levels.
Do Not Use Harsh Chemicals
Some soaps and detergents are made using a harsh chemical that can cause the disintegration of the powder coating on the hydro flask. Harsh chemicals from detergents and high water temperatures leave your Hydroflask vulnerable to damage, making it ineffective in retaining the temperature of whatever liquid you store.
Use of the Dishwasher Top Rack
Although you are advised to wash every part of the hydro flask manually, you can use the dishwasher top rack to clean some parts, such as the wide straw and flip lid.
These parts are tough to clean; hence, most people ignore them, and they can hide infectious bacteria. Moreover, the crevices on the flip lid and wide straw can hide microbes and other microorganisms that may harm your health.
However, washing these parts with your hands increases their lifespan compared to the dishwasher top rack. Before washing your Hydroflask in the dishwasher machine, read the manufacturer’s instructions to determine if it’s advisable.
How to Clean Hydro Flask Manually
You can manually wash your Hydroflask whether it is compatible with the dishwasher or not. Although using a dishwasher saves time and effort, experts recommend cleaning them by your hand to increase their longevity.
The following are some tips on how you can manually clean your hydro flask:
Preparing Equipment and Other Requirements
Before you start the session, ensure you gather the following to get things on point:
- Non-abrasive sponge
- Plentiful water
- Detergents or soap
- Baking soda or white vinegar
- Water brush or toothbrush if it’s not available
- Tissues, napkins, or wipes
Do Initial Cleaning
- Take your soap (or dish wash soap if available).
- Make a soapy solution in slightly warm water and pour it into the flask; Disassemble the hydro flask by separating the lid, cap, and straw before that.
- Use your toothbrush or bottle-cleaning brush and clean the internals
- Pour away the solution and pour another soapy solution several times
- Empty the bottle and fill it with clean running water
- Do not use the brush to clean the outer parts, as it may temper the coating.
- The initial cleaning is done
Deep Clean Using Baking Soda
After the initial cleaning, you can use your hydro flask bottle. However, initial cleaning doesn’t guarantee thorough cleanliness because some stubborn stains might need deep cleaning.
- Take the baking soda and mix it with warm water to form a paste
- Scoop the paste with a bottle cleaning brush, then gently rub the hydro flask’s internals.
- Brush it thoroughly and use warm soapy water to run the bottle
- Rinse again with clean water and ensure no baking soda traces inside the flask.
- Leave the bottle in the open air for drying, then wait to use it next time.
Deep Cleaning Using White Vinegar
If baking soda is not feasible for you, you can use white vinegar and achieve better results. White vinegar removes stubborn stains and disgusting odors from the flask. Follow the following steps to clean your hydro flask using white vinegar:
- Take half a cup of vinegar, pour it inside the hydro-flask, and shake gently.
- Leave the flask to settle for five minutes.
- Rinse the bottle with clean, warm water to get rid of the solution
What Is Expected When You Place A HydroFlask in The Dishwasher
A dishwasher uses hot water. The water at this temperature is likely to tamper with the powder coating on the flask, therefore, rendering the flask useless. However, you are advised against placing a non-coated hydro flask in the dishwasher. Hydro flasks are made of a stainless-steel vacuum layer. Hot water from the dishwasher can damage the vacuum mechanism, making the flask inefficient.
The Bottom Line
Not all hydro flasks are dishwasher safe. Some hydro flasks can be washed in the dishwasher, while others are not.
Before washing your hydro flask in the dishwasher, check the model and ensure it falls under the proper criteria.
I hope we have answered your question of “are hydroflasks dishwasher safe”. If you have any cleaning tips, please leave them in the comments below.